MallardAddict,

I would not presume to tell you that your rifles aren't set up properly for you.

Just for the record, the Zeiss scope I mounted on that M7, PROPERLY mounted for me and my body I might add <g>, is 13.5" long.

The Leupold 4.5x14 you mention is 12.1" or 12.3" long, depending on the model you have.

Just sayin'. You may not know as much as you think. This Zeiss is an odd scope.

If you'd like to explain to me how a scope is not properly mounted, for ME, when I get the fullest field of view possible from the natural position my head hits the stock... and I NEVER get touched by my scopes... then please, explain how I could do better than that. I'm all ears! smile

Good day to you. Won't be long, you'll be whackin' mallards again!

Originally Posted by MallardAddict
I wasn't going to get into this, but holy chit how deep a hole can Jeff O dig on scope mounting now?

I have a model 7 in .223 that is taken apart right now for new tube), it used to wear a Leupy Mk 4 3.5-10, now has a 4.5-14 VXIII. The stock on my model 7 is a dead ringer for the profile of the stock on my mom's Rem 788 7mm-08 (which wears the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14).

MyMk4's and 4.5-14 VXIII's are damn near the same length as the Zeiss Conquest on my moms gun and none look anything like that. I am 6'4", both my mom and GF are 5'1" and all of us can use either gun/scope combo without issue with the scope sitting quite a bit further forward as designed to be.

Hell i bet good money i can throw my VXIII 6.5-20 on my Model 7 and it won't be anywhere near that far back and anyone who picks it up will think the scope is set just right front to back.

Makes me wonder why you think there will always be a thick black ring around the image when looking through the scope. I dont think there is enough adjustment in the ocular lens to make such mounting ever come clear.

It goes without saying that your story dont wash from YEARS ( approx 15) of use of the model 7 with long scopes such as above.

Fact is some of the guys here have a metric chit ton of experience setting up guns and as your buddy TRYME is so fond of saying "You can bullchit the fans but not the players"

P.S. My Kimber Montana as shown below wears the 4.5-14 VXIII ( again just as long as the Conquest), its damn near the same LOP as my factory model 7 stock (the model 7 is about 1/4" shorter), it shoulders beautifuly and as soon as you open your eye the image is clear as a bell for heights from 5'1"- 6'4". Please notice it dont look nothing like what your showing there pardner....

[Linked Image]

In case your not familiar, here is a Leupold Mk4 on my .308 (admittedly not a Rem 7 though), pretty long even when it isnt wearing the 4" sunshade as in that picture, again no where near that far set back. (got about 15- 20 more rifles here with so called "long" scopes if more pictures are needed, but the results are the same......)
[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!