162 Amax. An arcane bullet that no one uses is on Wiki. Who'da thunk it?

"With the wide range of bullet weights available, the 7mm-08 is suitable for "varminting, game-hunting, silhouette, and long-range shooting."[2] It is also eminently suitable for plains game."[1] For long-range target and metallic silhouette shooting, the "plastic-tipped 162gr A-Max has proven to be very accurate, with an impressive 0.625 BC. This A-Max bullet, and the 150gr Sierra MK (i.e., MatchKing), are also very popular with silhouette shooters."[2]

The 7 mm-08 Remington works well in most hunting environments, including dense forest areas and large open fields. It has a slightly flatter trajectory than the .308 Win. and .30-06 Springfield at similar bullet weights because the slightly smaller-diameter 7mm bullet generally has a better ballistic coefficient, and is thus less affected by drag and crosswind while in flight. Bullet energy at 100 yards is four times greater than that of the .44 Magnum while recoil is only slightly more than the .243 Win.

Wayne van Zwoll of Petersen's Hunting magazine wrote: "Efficient case design and a bullet weight range suitable for most North American big game make the 7mm-08 a fine choice for all-around hunting. Civil in recoil, it's a perfect match for lightweight, short-action rifles. It has also courted favor on metallic silhouette ranges, where its 140-grain bullets reach 500-yard targets faster and with as much energy as 150-grain .308s."[3] He also described it as "deadly" for elk.

[edit] Cartridge Comparisons"

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris