I reckon my wife could give an "opinion of 7mm-08 rem. vs 308" as well as most. She's a ranch girl, with family properties in 2 western states. When we married a quarter century ago she'd taken a quantity of deer, elk, antelope and bear to make many on here swoon - yet also had a flinch beyond belief from an ill fitting old-style wood stocked Model 700 ADL in .270 that had beat her unmercifully for years. This was because a Savage in 308 was too horribly painful! I bought her a Ruger M77 RL Ultralight in .250 Savage to cure her ills, and eventually she lost the flinch (a dozen or so deer, 3 elk and assorted antelope, bear, cougar along the way.) Then, we bought her a Mountain Rifle in 7-08, and it was love at first shot. She used that rifle for 5 years, 2 trips to Africa included, never lost an animal, and needed followups only twice, At that point, we bought her a Pre "N" ULA in 7-08, which is now through it's original Douglas barresl at 3200ish rounds, a POS Hart that was dumped at 410ish and is 1200ish into its current PacNor - with multiples of some 3 dozen species to speak for it.

TRY to convince her the 7-08 isn't magic...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...