Originally Posted by smithrjd
Not sure what to think about this thread.. Sure has gone sideways. I have never used Peterson brass, but have used most of the others. Had an issue with a well know maker, not one of the big ones, but a good supplier of the harder to find ones. The issue I had was with an easy to find one, 38 Special. Good price, good reputation. Well had 15 split cases out of 50 on the first reload. I was not as snarkie as Larry.. The response I got was not to me acceptable. My load was 2.7g Bullseye with a 148g HBWC, a classic bullseye load that has been around for decades. The explanation for the split cases was detonation due to the small powder load. ?? They replaced the cases, with a few more no issues. Hardness, etc?? I don't know. Other brass is fine with this load, even up to 20 reloads and still going. The cases were segregated and used with other loads and they were fine. I would always give a vendor a chance to see what they would do, they responded. Things happen, will they make it right? The pictures did not look very good, but I do enough to know I can with a camera make things look bad. Social Media I guess LOL wishing for the good old times. I would not exempt Pederson brass on Larry's recommendation.. However I might look at it a bit closer.. Getting into a shouting match with Larry on the internet is a losing proposition.

Just my 2 cents. Awhile back, when we 1st started making big magnum casings, (338 Lapua Family) we had a customer call in and say that they had an issue with a few of the casings out of the box splitting when he tried to fire form them into AI. When we traced back the issue, it turned out that we needed to anneal further down the casing body during our tapering operation. When we did our next run of them, we changed our anneal gradient in the body of the casing to make it a little softer further down. Damned if that didn’t fix the issue. Never had a complaint about that after we made the change. We don’t make pistol casings, but I bet it would be the same solution. With rifle, we had to be very careful not to anneal too far down though, or the casings would be too soft in the head and lower body to have good reloadability. I bet, if you were so inclined to do so, you could have run those casings through a flame annealer, just kissed the tops of them with the flame, and maybe have been able to solve the problem. Sending them back is usually the fastest way to solve the issue though, since they shouldn’t have cracked from the beginning. Again, just my experience.