Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Took a good look at a box of Peterson .308 Win brass last night. Here are my impressions and observations.

1. The brass was shipped in a translucent cartridge box suitable for holding loaded .308 Win cartridges. A foam pad kept the brass from rattling around. Nice, especially sing I tend to run out of ammo boxes this size. The box has 'Peterson" molded into the cover, which will help me keep it separate from my Winchester and Federal brass.
2. The brass was visually near perfect. No dented cases or case mouths, no split case mouths, clean and round flash holes inside and out.
3. Although there were very tiny marks around some of the flash holes, I could not detect any burrs or gouges with a feeler wire.
4. Case lengths were measured but I quit after the first five all came in a 2.0045". The limit of my Starrett gauge is .0005" so these could have been a perfect 2.0050".
5. Although I did not detect any burrs on the inside or outside of the case mouths, they were not beveled. Since I've never received any brass that is, this was not a concern, just an observation. I'll run the brass through a sizing die and bevel the case mouth as per my normal procedures for new brass, but it looks to be ready to load as-is.
6. All 50 cases were weighed on a digital scale with a +/- .1 grain accuracy. The results are shown below.

Peterson .308 Win brass weights (50 cases), in grains:
175.1 Minimum
176.4 Maximum
0.3 Standard Deviation
1.3 Extreme Spread
175.7 Mean (Average)
175.7 Median (Middle value)
175.7 Mode (Most common value)

[Linked Image]

Overall I'm quite pleased with the brass - I'm used to dented cases with out-of-round mouths and an occasional split mouth (Winchester and Remington). My plan now is to weigh some Winchester and Federal cases and see what the weight variance is.

Will I switch to Peterson brass? For the most part, no, because .243 Win and .308 Win are the only types they make that I can use. But for these, a switch may be in the offing, especially if I can detect smaller groups with the Peterson .308 Win brass.

Two things if I may...how much did the cases cost you, and I really miss being able to purchase cases in reusable packaging.

That is a nice touch.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.