Originally Posted by DerekP
I appreciate the info. I will check out those articles. It’s just my opinion, but it really is a dang shame that the co inventor of the WSM casing design, John Jamison, patented, and then filed suit against Olin/Winchester over the casing proportion design when they tried to bring it to market. It really put the breaks on that whole WSM / RSAUM style of casing. Not saying Winchester went about it the correct/honest way at all. Again, just my opinion, but the WSM style of casing, short / fat style of casing, has a ton of benefits over the long skinny Win Mag style of casing. I think, over the next 5 years or so, we will start to see some legitimacy come to the different “neck downs” folks have been making off of the WSM / RSAUM casings at home. Now that John’s patent has expired, of course.

Some light reading if you are interested.

Jamison Lawsuit Synopsis

Jamison Short/Fat Patent

We have done a good bit of experimenting with shortening and widening other common overbore magnum casings, with some interesting results. Our testing leads us to believe as a general rule of thumb, the further the powder is away from the ignition source, aka the primer / flash hole, the less consistent the powder burn is from shot to shot. Also, the likelihood of pushing unburnt powder down the barrel increases with the length of the casing powder chamber. Either way, I think there is still a good bit of refining to do on optimal casing design relating to powder chamber diameter vs powder chamber length.

Is the 6.5-300 a variant of, or another name for, the 6.5 GAP? I agree with you on the accuracy over velocity comment. We make a lot of Cheytac brass, and most of those guys are always wanting more case capacity for a little extra speed.

Sir

"The 6.5 Leopard is the 300 WSM necked down to 6.5

This new wildcat may be the ultimate answer for long-range deer and varmint hunting.
By Jim Carmichel September 18, 2007"

https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/rifles/2007/09/65-leopard

Now I've never tried to attain 3,200 FPS in this rifle.

I'm a short range meat hunter, not a long range target shooter so the current long range craze has not infected me.

I am not familiar with the 6.5 GAP, 6.5 GAP 4s or the 6.5 RSAUM .

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/6-5-saum-4s.163147/

Based on the above, I undestand that the 4S stands for "Super Secret Squirrel Schitz. Which leads me to question whether "B" claimed the naming rights!

Quien Sabe?

From the limited info I have it would be similar to a 300 SAUM necked down to 6.5

http://bluemountainprecision.com/blog/post/6-5-remington-short-action-ultra-magnum-6-5-saum

So From Sierra #5......

300 RSAUM........180 gr. bullet, Magpro min/max........64.9/70.1

300 WSM.............180 gr. bullet Magpro min/max.........67.7/76.9

Would seem the 6.5 WSM would have more powder capacity than a 6.5 RSAUM

I'm sure there are others here that have much more insight than I, as I'm JAPPFT

[Linked Image]

Just Another Porker Perforator From Texas

ya!

GWB

Am I the only one wondering why the owner of the company can't figure out how to use the quote function on a message board?

David