when i was a kid in the 70's i lived near a old coal mine slag dump and it had a neighborhood shooting range in it. in the weeks preceding deer season it saw a lot of use and i would hang out there watching and shooting. i remember the row of guns lined up and 90% were 760's. most had that squared off basket weave forend that came out in early 70's, see through mounts, big gawdy leather slings with colored deer graphics, tv screen redfield scopes, the whole nine yards. the mills were booming then and everybody had money. almost all were '06 with a few 270's and the odd 308. i always wanted a 760 270 but couldn't afford it. fast forward to 1982 and i'm home on leave from the AF and having a few brews with my dad and his buddy george and i commented how i i wanted a pump 270. george said he had an old one he bought in 1960 and would sell it to me. few weeks later i get a call from my dad and he asks if i still want that 270. $130 which is what george paid for it in 1960. pristine condition, never even had a scope mounted. i came home on leave for deer season and put a scope and see-throughs on it and dropped a buck at daylight on the first day. still have that gun and it has accounted for many, many deer. it will shoot quarter sized groups at 100 yards all day.

My diploma is a DD214