Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Windfall
What always surprised me was how light and responsive my uncles .30 Remington m14 and my buddy’s .32 Remington m14 felt compared to the m141 .35 Remington that I had. That 141 was sure a chunk of steel imo and had a barrel about 2-4 inches longer than I thought it should have been. Making it into a carbine just made it into a shorter chunk.

The Model 141 rifles have a 2" longer barrel and physically larger/heavier wood, so they feel different from the Model 14 rifles. I don't know if the changes improved the rifle or not, as the 141s don't seem as handy or as naturally pointing as the 14s do to me.

John Wooters had a 141 with the barrel cut back to just forward of the front of the magazine tube that I always liked the look of and thought about doing that back when nice 141s were easy to find for under $350. I have a really nice 141 in 35 REM that is nearly mint and original, except for the receiver having been d&t for a receiver sight, even with the two non-factory holes it seems like too nice a rifle to booger up any more.

While I don’t have a Model 14 (yet) to compare, the difference in handling between my 141 rifle and carbine are night and day. I have a feeling the straight grip stock on a 14 carbine would make it feel even lighter/livelier.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by tmitch; 10/05/23.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn