Originally Posted by Windfall
I was looking for a .250-3000 in a Savage 99 at a collector show for the kid, but not finding one I bought a Remington 760 in a .257 Roberts instead. I had no idea that it was as collectible as you guys let on and I sold it when the kid lost interest in deer hunting. It was a good shooter like most of the 760's and sure milder on the back end than an '06 in a 760. A 141 in .35 Remington followed me home another time, but I wasn't sure why Remington thought that it needed a 24" barrel, so I "fixed" mine down to a cut and crowed 20 incher. Too heavy and overbuilt compared to the earlier 14's and that one hit the used rack too in preference to the afore mentioned M99F in a .300 Savage.

Aren't the only differences between the Remington 14 and 141 the barrel length, 22" vs. 24", and the slightly larger stock and forearm on the 141? I agree that those old Remingtons were overbuilt and that while the 141s are physically larger and heavier than the 14s, I wonder how much more they actually do weigh.

IIRC, Johm Wooters had a 141 with the barrel cut back to just a bit longer than the magazine tube. I've thought about finding a previously bubba'd 141 in 35 REM to replicate JW's rifle, but it is probably one of those neat but never to get done projects.