You just never know....

Went to a local LGS today to place a "mistake" on consignment, for which I hoped to receive $500-$600 in the current crappy market. Asked the counter guy if he'd consider a trade instead, because of something I saw on the wall. He said he had something interesting that was marked at $699, and pulled the one I was looking at (among several others). I asked what kind of deal he'd make, and he offered to trade even up. Done.

I'm now the owner of a Remington Model Six .30/06 with a Redfield Lo-Pro 3-9 in see-thru mounts; a genuine Amish Machine Gun. It's in really excellent condition, but my guess is that the stock was shortened just a bit for the White Line pad on the back as the lop is right at 13", actually a good length for a cold weather rifle. The scope will have to go eventually, but it looks almost perfect, widefield ocular and objective and all. For now, I've ordered a new base for some Leupold PRWs I have. I'll also have to pull the pad and make sure the end-grain is sealed so the RKW bowling-pin finish doesn't flake from moisture.

Always wanted one of these, especially the Model Six with the cartridge head embedded in the receiver like the 141s. Average beater 760s and 7600s usually go for $350-$450 with no scope, often missing sight parts and plastic stocks or banged up walnut with impressed checkering. The checkering on this one is cut, and in pretty good condition. I just sold my only 06 and had a bunch of handloads and Prvi Grom ammo on hand, so I'm all set. The action is slicker than snot on a doorknob and the trigger's not half bad.

What fresh Hell is this?