I need to snap a pic next time we go out. Yesterday I put the shortened stock I bought off a Fire member on my son’s 1954 production 760 in 300Sav. I pulled the plug screws I’m pretty sure had never been out of the receiver and mounted an M8 4x Leupold in plain old Weaver rings.

We loaded up a few rounds with 130gr Speer FN 30/30 bullets over a reduced charge of IMR 4895. I didn’t have any H4895 but found an older article by John Barsness wherein he stated that he’d spoken with the folks at Hodgdon and there was no issue with using the same formula for reduced loads using IMR instead of H4895. So we used the 60 percent formula and should be getting pretty much 30/30 ballistics. I shot a couple to get us sighted in and let him take over. He has to have a rest because it’s too heavy for him to hold, being a 40lb guy. But he was hitting clay pigeons at 50 yards and having a ball shooting his “big” rifle. He killed a doe last fall and is sure now that he’s equipped to kill a big buck as well as an elk this year. I hope he’s right.