Originally Posted by oremi
I have a Rem. 7600 in .35 whelen but the deer I have shot with factory 250 grain bullets have not died well. If I handloaded some fast opening Nosler balistic tips it may work better. However I recently got a Savage 99 in .300 sav. and used it to take a bull moose a white-tail doe and two wolves. I like it a lot as my fast handling bush gun. In the mountains or prairie I use a long barreled bolt action.

oremi

When I first got a Whelen-- way back when, I thought it was going to be constantly delivering DRT results on Whitetails. Although some were DRT with shoulder shots and a lot of mess some also ran off after rib cage shots. Using lighter bullets, like the 200gr Hornady SP, helped provide better expansion but didn't eliminate the mess unless the velocity was reduced to 35Rem or 358W levels. I have since gone back to smaller calibers (270W & 6.5C) for deer and have been more than pleased with the frequency of DRT results. My 35's are now reserved for bigger or tougher game. I guess bigger probably isn't always better.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.