Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Windfall
I had a rare one in .257 Roberts and I wondered where all the recoil went? I also had a M141 Remington in .35 Remington, but I sold them both off because they rattled in the slide. My deer hunting is up close and personal and any unusual noise like a slide rattle puts the deer somewhere else besides the meat pole. Those '06's crack you pretty well in a 760 and an .30-06 has never been particularly pleasant to shoot in anything.

2 of my 3 biggest bucks were shot at less than 15 yards in woods to heavy for a wood tick. Both shot with 7600 '06. It was too late for either one when the safety "clicked".

None of them heard that pesky ol slide rattling either. I bet you coat makes more noise than my rifle...until it goes off. grin

Few people have either the skill or the patience to still-hunt in timber without making some noise. Trackers, like the Berniers and Benoits, being the rare exceptions. I like Remington 760 series pump guns, my black timber elk rifle is a 760 in 270, and they are an iconic northeastern hunting rifle, but I've never seen one in the field or on the range anywhere that I've been west of the Mississippi River unless it was the one that I was holding.