tzone, you bring up a good point about "clicking" off that safety. Early on with my then new Ruger M77 MKll I put an 8 pointer into launch mode when I clicked off that M70 type safety instead on letting it down slowly with my right thumb. I was nose bleed high in a white pine tree and that buck knew that he didn't like what he'd just heard. I did crack him out about 80 yards when he stopped to look around, but it would have been a far easier shot when he was way closer. I really like those pumps like my 20 gauge M12 bird gun because they are light, fast shooting and carry beautifully. The slide rattle on those deer rifles though was just something else that I could control and it is not even a factor with my bolt actions or my 99F .300 Savage. I've read all the Benoit books about tracking down the big bucks and they alone were probably pretty responsible for selling lots of those Remington 760 carbines. As a youth I tried that and got a lot of bucks... for other guys way up ahead that were more patient than I was and had "my" deer run past them. 600,000 of us deer hunters here and darn hard to have the woods to yourself.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory