Originally Posted by TheKid
When I was a little kid I shot my first two bucks using my great Grandad's 760 in 244. Both he and it are long gone and I doubt I'll ever see that rifle again.
But I do have a soft spot for the old 760s with the corncob forends and I have been keeping an eye peeled for a nice one for some time just for old times sake.
My wife and I had our first child last fall, a little boy. At 10 months old now he's walking a little and learning all kinds of tricks and I swear he's left handed. Little tyke does everything with his left hand.

So knowing I have a soft spot for old 760s, and odd calibers, and now a likely left handed boy who'll surely need a deer rifle. A friend of mine agreed last week to swap me straight across, his 1954 production 760 in 300 Savage for my 1948 production 721 in 270.

The old pumpgun isn't pristine, but it's pretty darn nice. It still has the aluminum butt plate, dovetail rear iron sight, no sling studs, and has never had the plug screws removed from the scope holes. I can't wait to put a youth 20ga buttstock with a good pad on it, some sling studs, and a 4x Leupold and have my little boy carry it up into the hills. We'll save the original wood for later.

Cool on both counts. My brother is a lefty and dad bought him a 760 270 a couple of years after the changeover to the 7600. It was NIB and has served him well since 83. Your son will lucky to have that one as a first deer rifle.