Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by moosemike
And "Yankee" is the highest compliment you could give me. I wear that with pride.

Yep.... here's your sign....

Nobody has any control of where they were born or the choices that their ancestors made. There is no reason to be ashamed of the choices that their ancestors made, as it is likely that they chose to follow their conscience and the outcomes have been long decided. I am as proud of my ancestors who followed their friends and neighbors into the Union Army between 1861 and 1865 as a person whose ancestors followed their friends and neighbors into the Confederate Army at the same time. Most of them weren't decision makes and had little control over where events took them.

Yes and amen! My ancestors came to NY in 1709. In 1723 some of them moved to PA. My ancestors fought in every conflict from the Queen Annes war to present. They bled and died wearing blue in the Civil War. Some people like 4ager and Steelhead don't think I should be proud of my heritage even though they're proud of theirs (well one of them is from NJ) but it don't work that way. Northerners have as much to be proud of as Southerners.

Did I say you ought not be proud of your heritage? Hmmm... nope. Have I pointed out that your conception of history is more than a bit skewed? Yep. Is the term Yankee in the context of MODERN conversations about those undermining the Constitution and the American way of life a "compliment"? Well, if you think so.....

Steelhead has rather frequently said he doesn't give a schit about what happened 150+ years ago, but is concentrating on NOW. Therein lies the difference that folks continue to ignore.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.