Originally Posted by Otter6
Count me in. Woolrich,longjohns,the rifle and "cartridges". From what I've gathered from old timers,if you were lucky,you had a deer rifle in the household. "Cartridges" too. Not a lot of time standing in front of the gun safe. My grandad had a general store back in the day. If you didn't want the whole box of cartridges,you could buy them by the piece. I used to have an old shotgun shell box from the store that had the price each marked on the lid. Hard times. Simple times.
I well remember the stories my dad told me from when he was a kid in the 1930's. Deer camp was a leased spot up in North East Pa. near Lake Erie, I believe. They took a train in as close as they could get and then hired a horse drawn cart to take them several more miles back into the camp. Most of the guys carried shotguns, or old black powder guns. There were no "modern" rifles among the group-none of these guys could afford them. Deer were scarce, and the hunting was very hard. Dad said if his father cut a track, they'd stay on that track until dark, and come back to it the next day if need be. Dad's first rifle, a hand me down from his father, was a 30-40 Craig. He never saw a rifel scope until he entered the military in 1941. Deer camp was a two week affair. Wood needed to be cut, water brought in, and food gathered for the men. They ate lots of small game-rabbits, squirrels, grouse and the occasional turkey when one could be found. Camp was only broken when provisions ran low. IF they got a deer, they could stay longer. If they didn't, and many times that was the case, they'd have to get word out to the teamsters to come pick them up so they could catch the train on it's once a week run. More than once they waited at the station on the end of the line for several days because they missed the train. There was a house in the little town there that allowed them to sleep in the barn and would cook meals for them in exchange for some chores being done while they waited on the trains return.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla