Originally Posted by Filaman
Originally Posted by satx78247
jwall,

Fyi, a LARGE percentage of executors couldn't care less what caliber that a rifle is (I get most of my rifles that way or from garage sales.) AND anything but "naught six" is deemed "worthless" by a considerable percentage of hunters here.

I got my .222 & .280 REM Model 760 rifles "for peanuts" at garage sales, as "You can't hardly find shells for those weird things."
(Fyi, even the pawnbroker that I bought my "as new" 760 in .244REM, said, "I don't know what you want that thing for. I can't find ammunition for it." = He sold it to me for 60 bucks, in 1966.)

Btw, my niece, TARA, borrowed the .244 until I got tired & told her to "Just keep it", about a decade ago. - She gets her deer with that "oddball caliber" more often than I do. = BORN HUNTRESS, is our Tara.
(She calls it: "PURR-fectly GIRL-sized".)
yours, tex

I really believe that if bullets would have been as good back when the .244 first came out there may never have been a 6mm Remington. Back then unless you had a 100 grain bullet you were apt to lose your deer. The lighter bullets weren't constructed well enough for larger game as they were made for varmints. Now days bullets are just better. 80 and 85 grain bullets at 3300 FPS MV are great whitetail medicine and they would stabilize well in a .244 Remington barrel.

Of course now days with the long range craze not even the 1:10 twist rate of the .243 was usually given back then is acceptable for that crowd. Even 1:9 is not enough to stabilize the long 110 grain and up special low drag bullets. But for what I use a .243 for the 85-100 grain bullets work fine.

Remington and Peters cataloged the 244 with 90 grain Pointed Soft Point and Bronze Point bullets for shooting medium game. When I got a 660 in 6mm my Father bought a couple hundred rounds of the 90 grain Bronze Point ammo for me to shoot 'cause he thought that it was a better bullet for shooting deer than any of the available 6mm factory ammo back in 1968/69.