Originally Posted by tzone
I started a separate thread but...

I'm thinking about a Savage M170 to play around with.

Isn't that the 30-30 pump? I heard those frequently have jamming issues Tom.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by hookeye
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by hookeye
No rifle is perfect. You pay attention and work with what ya got.
Yeah my 55 yr old 760 can rattle. Not bad,
I can move it around quietly.

General movement (still hunting), it's no big deal. It's way more quiet than any M500 shotgun.
Hate those POS.

My 500 doesn't rattle AT ALL and has accounted for several dozen deer. You've just got to be smart enough to know how to tighten them up. It's not hard and only takes a few minutes.

If you are truly smart you don't buy a fuggin Mossberg.
They were a solid choice back in the smoothbore days.
Tended to outshoot other platforms. Junky but worked well.

Once rifled bbls came out, the swap to Remington was the logical choice.
Still is.

Got my first gun deer w a M500 Regal.
Bought new for $215.
Gave it away after one season.
I slug hunted for many years and have owned a pile of fully rifled and smoothbore slug guns including several 870's, Win. 1300's, Ithaca 37's and Mossberg 500's. My rifled cantilever barreled 500 was the most accurate of the bunch and has never malfunctioned once in the 30 years and thousands of rounds I've used it. In fact, all the others are now gone and the 500 is all that remains, just in case I decide to hunt a slug zone again someday. And please don't try to tell me what a good pump gun is or isn't. I was gunsmithing professionally in a slug zone for years and set up/ accurized/test fired/built/repaired a lot of slug guns. Too many people think if a pump gun isn't "tight" it's junk. Well if that's the case then the Ithaca 37 is the biggest heap out there. Those can have the rattle/slop taken out just as easily as a Mossberg. Surely a genius gun expert such as yourself could accomplish it no problem.

I gave my son my 12 ga. 870 in exchange for his little 500 Bantam 20 ga. I've got a cantilever rifled slug barrel on it, and it works just fine. With the choke tube barrel it makes a nice little grouse gun. No complaints here whatsover. The slug barrel wears an old Weave K2.5, and it really likes Hornandy SST saboted slugs. 2" group at 100 yards. Plenty good enough for me for minute of deer accuracy. Mossy's get a bad rap, but I've never had a problem with this nice little gun.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla