So 7600/760 guys,

How often does this happen?

Got my newly done 7600 back and start working load development. It's a JES re-bore to 358Win, barrel chopped to 19", added synthetic furniture, had it Cerakoted in Burnt Bronze and added a Swarovski 1.25-4X.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Scratch load for pressure testing, first 4 rds at 50yds out of the newly bored barrel, 1st shot low, then an adjustment:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The next 3 shots were similar. Then things started getting goofy as I was doing load testing. I was getting two groups per test load, around 3MOA total at 50yds. It would hold windage pretty well, the the elevation was terrible. So I tried a different benchrest, then tried resting the forearm on my hand in a standard grip. Still the same. I'd get it zero'd then.. 2 rds out of a group 4" higher. I also tried 2 different bullets, same same.

I checked the normal culprits, scope rail and mounts were solid etc. The scope had zero issues on my 350RM

I desided to strip it down and check everything. Then I noticed the forearm was loose(r), then I notice than the action tube was also slightly loose. So basically a loose barrel. I think my smith didn't want to risk scratching the new Cerakote, and 7600/760s aren't all that common here, so he went easy on the tightening.

I had already bought a 7600 action tube tool so I could really get it tight.

So, is this loosening common? Should I go ahead and red loctite it? I kind of like the idea of being able to break it down every couple years for a good cleaning.

“Might does not make right but it sure makes what is.”