Originally Posted by Whelen Nut
Bobby

'Twas just in need of a little lubrication of the "O" ring in the slide. Common situation with old 760's and an easy fix.

I'll keep my eyes open for a .308 carbine for ya. Lots of gun shows coming up. How about a 35Rem? They are the schitze in a carbine. Easy on your shoulder but devastating on a deer's shoulder. grin

Paul

While I think it is probably a good idea to lube the oring. What was probably the original in mine was in pieces.

Gently torch the red locktite. I also drilled the holes on mine out to 1/4", for a bigger punch to break it free. This did require a bit of filng to get rid of the burrs, to smooth it out.

After 200 rounds, it loosened up a bit but not rattling. I should have been lubing it hard when doing lots of shooting.

I was thinking of cutting it down to 18". Comparing POI and fps, before and after. But I just bought a 45-70 in 18.5

I suspect mine came from PA, bought it in IN, after steel mill in PA closed. Many of the guys came to work at the mill there.

Lots of complaints on trigger. Mine was 4.5, and I didn't notice any creep. Maybe it was modified. I put a timney in, lowered it to 2.5. Nice. But probably not worth the money. But I had some extra