I posted this on the when I was a kid thread but that isn't getting much traction.
My first deer season:

When I was 12 it was my first year deer hunting. It was 1979 and we hunted in the national forest and stayed in a camper.

I got to go to camp for Thanksgiving weekend. We didn't see anything those 3 days. The following Saturday was the 1st of December and it was the only doe day of the season. On the Friday evening before doe day we pulled the camper up and spent the night. We were up early that Saturday and came outside to several inches of fresh snow.

I still remember every detail of that morning from climbing that ridge to dad dropping me off at the top. He had a stand about 100 yards below where he could keep an eye on me.

Dad had sporterized a 93 Mauser for me but let me carry his Marlin 35 that morning while he took his Model 70 270. This will become an important detail soon.

As soon as he dropped me off I sprayed myself down with G96 Apple deer lure. I hadn't been there 15 minutes when a huge old doe and her fawn from the spring walked right on top of me. I centered the crosshairs on the big does chest and cocked the rifle. With the click all hell broke loose. They ran right down the hollow to dad where he busted the big doe with the 270. She started flopping in the snow and the other one started running back up the other ridge and I started throwing lead at her. I missed clean frown

At that point in my life watching that doe go down in spectacular fashion was coolest thing I'd ever seen.

That day is what made me want to be a deer hunter and I'll never forget it. It's one of both mine and my dads favorite hunting memories.