Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Dogslife57
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by JDK
Nice to see a thread that doesn't involve Kimber or hubble scopes. Good stuff here.

You don't need that stuff in Maine. It will never help a guy up there. smile

Yep, in fact they're a liability a lot of the time when you're hunting places so thick that you couldn't fall down if you wanted to. Biggest reason guys at our camp didn't get shots....."Couldn't find'em in the scope". This thread makes me miss my 280 I just sold, but I had to reduce, more use for the other 3 7600s I'm keeping though. Up to Maine for bear in about 2 months and then back up for deer in Nov.

Likely not very good hunters/shooters. Just because I guy has been doing something for 40 years, don't mean he's worth a shiet.

The 'Couldn't find them in the scope' tells me they are pretty much idiots.

It's happened to me twice in thick woods and fading light and many times according to the outfitter with scopes. Open sights often work better for us idiots.

Can't find them in the scope isn't a function of how thick the cover is. In fact if one has problems in the thick they probably would also if the Deer was standing in a football field. Too many xxxx's is another issue, but having a scope cranked up in the thick is a fools game.

Shooting prone at 500 with a friends rifle the other day-set on 18 if I remember right-caused me a little problem in that I'm not used to that many xxxx's with an unfamiliar sweet spot, but it quickly started to come around. The sweet spot and FOV on a low power woods scope is huge and the Deer should be there when you shoulder the rifle. Providing one messes around with the rifle more than infrequently and knows how to point with the leading hand. Seen more than a few on the range who don't.

Fading light is another issue, but open sights in fading light is a young mans game. At my age I'd take the scope. 3-4x preferable.

I don't doubt the outfitter is right. wink

Assisted on a Maine Moose hunt and have hunted Grouse there. It didn't scare me for thick compared to some places I hunt in Pa.

Last edited by battue; 07/19/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler