Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never owned a pump rifle. How accurate are they?

The last time I put my 760 in 30-06 on paper I was testing 130 grain TTSXs to see where the middle of the charge weight it liked was. I was using Varget and between 51.5 and 53,5 grains it held 9 shots all inside an inch with a little to spare.at 113 yards. I have had as many as half a dozen in the safe at one time and the worst of them was inch and a half. The best I had was a .243 that would put 95 grain Barnes XLCs into less than 1/2 inch. I only tried one load with the worst one , and I expect that probably I could have found something that would do better.

They have a good lock up of the bolt. I would have to believe that because of the way it is designed that some of them are going to be bad, maybe real bad, but I have never seen a bad one. With Remington's manufacturing getting sloppier lately I would expect that they get worse because the barrel, head spacing and bolt lock up being just a little off would affect them quite a bit

For a rifle that you can change the barrel on without an action wrench or barrel vise and do it yourself that's pretty remarkable. As long as a barrel has been head spaced on the action you could swap barrels (calibers) fairly easily and quickly without affecting accuracy. I bought a .243 that had never been cleaned from the day it left the factory. I had that barrel off half a dozen times and finally replaced it for a very modest cost, a couple hundred dollars I think.