Went to the protest in Toronto today. I have no idea how to count crowd numbers, but my estimate would be 10,000. There were several drones and helicopters flying around so I’m sure there will be an official count (though we’ll never get the real numbers).

A number of speakers, some good, a couple kooks. Aboriginal drummers and singers. People of all colours and creeds. Happy, respectful and supportive. Even scored a nice Nicaraguan cigar from a guy! And people were smoking funny things.

No counter-protesters to speak of. A few wearing masks but not really rabble-rousing. Someone set off a tear-gas bomb but very little wind and it didn’t seem to cause any disturbance. And the best thing of all - you could see people’s faces, you could smile and talk without the mask filter.

At one point, a speaker asked those who had lost their job due to the mandate to put their hand up. I’d say 40% of people there were like that. Talked to some nurses and other medical personnel who were out of work.

We were there about 4 hours, talked to some great people, a number from Eastern Europe who grew up under communism and said Canada is actually worse at this point.

Watched the media coverage of the protest today on Global. They claimed only 1000 people. There were far, far more. And, funny thing, the only interviews they published were those with white people. The camera shots only showed white people. At least 30% of the people there were POC. All races and ethnicities. I laughed with a few POC calling them racists.

So. Much. Fake. News.

We parked and took the subway in because I decided people were more important to see than trucks. We walked into the subway station unmasked. The TTC employee was helpful and supportive. No one challenged us and we knew who was going to the protest because they were all unmasked. A couple of looks but no issues.

We went into a couple of restaurants and people were unmasked and no one challenged. Even security guards at buildings were helpful and supportive.