Wow That is so sad to hear. Thanks for the update. If you see your BIL tell him he has many supporters down herein N Idaho

Originally Posted by Nashville
Hey guys,

It’s been a few days since I have given an update.

Things changed quite a bit in a very short amount of time and updates didn’t seem very important at the time.
People were still showing up from around the country on Friday to protest. Many were still on their way to town when police started their crackdown on Rideau. Due to the low numbers of people in the area, it didn’t take forces long to push through Rideau to the start of Wellington. The line was held for as long as possible but everyone knew that the area couldn’t be held. With horses trampling people and protestors being maced and hit with batons the numbers steadily decreased. The weekend crowd hadn’t arrived in time and many were nervous with the threats against their assets.

Friday was the worst day for police brutality. Trudeau needed justification for his invocation of the emergencies act and it seemed many police were trying to incite violence to do so. I was very proud to watch how people from across the nation held their heads high and remained peaceful over the weeks proceeding but this was something else. Protestors were now being beaten, assaulted and threatened and yet no one gave in to their anger in a negative way. As numbers were slowly dwindling on the front line, someone was ready to step in. They refused to act out in violence and instead acted out of love. Those protesting begged for officers to stand down, to go home. They let them know they didn’t need to be there, that it was a choice. They offered hugs and prayers for those in front of them. I noticed right away that all the officers on the front line were from out of town. Forces that had not seen what had truly been happening over the prior weeks, it would be easier for them to hold their line. Local officers were spread out behind the protestors, many not wearing masks and most were engaged with people. These officers seemed to not want to be there. Most of them had been there and had seen how peaceful and joyful the freedom protest had been.

Had police forces wanted they could have easily taken all of Wellington on Friday alone. They dragged it out and seemed to enjoy it.
With the elderly Mohawk woman trampled, many in the crowd quickly seized the moment to put out that she had been killed. Those that put that information out new that the report was false but it gave an opportunity for those in their seats to question police action. By Saturday, the SIU had opened an investigation and the mounted police were held back behind the line. Saturday seemed to fly by as forces quickly pushed down Wellington all the way to Bank st. Forces also pushed south down the side streets which also saw confrontations and police brutality. Reporters and protestors on these streets both saw beatings from mainly Vancouver police forces as I have been told. On the main front on Wellington, you could start to see police questioning their positions as people continued to beg, pray and encourage officers to leave or stand down. No officer could hold eye contact for more than a few seconds, though some seemed to try in defiance. They all quickly turned away, some with tears in their eyes and shifted uneasily in their boots. There was the odd officer that seemed to brandish their baton, looking as of they were eager to use it if given the chance.

The tactics of the day had mostly changed to pepper spray. With the eyes of the world watching and the protestors remaining peaceful, though defiant, it was hard to justify using the horses or batons now. More people had shown up on Saturday despite the threats against them though it was nothing like the crowds on the weekends before. Those that did show up were more prepared with masks and goggles. Medics volunteering their time brought water, milk and eye wash for those being sprayed and helped in any capacity they could. The line held at Bank for the day but eventually the cold set in and the people couldn’t take shifts to warm up like the forces could.

By Sunday it was pretty well over. A few people were out on the street but most knew that there was nothing more to do. Everyone was tired from weeks of being in Ottawa and now they were trying to help each other out. Most arrested were released and back to their trucks on the hill or hotel rooms within four hours. Some were threatened to sign conditional release forms before being released while others were simply just let go. Some I talked to were driven out of the city and dropped off and told to figure it out while others were brought to their truck on Wellington or Rideau and told to drive it out of there and asked not to return.

There are many stories of people being beaten and having their bank accounts locked out. Several stories have come in of Veterans that refused to leave the war memorial; which they had been guarding 24/7 since removing the fence that had been around it; were badly beaten. I hope these stories will get out to the world.

I am still in Ottawa. I decided that there are still some stories that need to be told though many are reluctant to talk now. The feelings of joy that filled this area have now been replaced by fear and mistrust. Not only mistrust in the government and police but also by those local to the area that seem to be filled with rage against any that supported the protests. It’s been hard to try and engage with anyone now because of this and all are afraid. Two locals I have met, both immigrants, are now looking to return to their native countries. They have lived through tyranny and revolutions in their own countries already and they do not wish to be apart of another. Their views on this country have been shattered and everything is now questioned in their minds. Canada was supposed to be a safe and respectable country that was tolerant of all…

So many people here in Ottawa opened their arms and welcomed the convoy when it showed up. For three weeks they laughed and smiled, danced and sang. There was food for all and a joyous community was created. Within a couple days that beautiful world was crushed and I can see the depression settling back in already.

The protest zone became a safe place for all proven by the posted stats from the Ottawa police that admitted crime had fallen over 90%. Global, CBC and CTV constantly reported on the few crimes in the area that did happen but they never came out directly against the protestors in their articles as they couldn’t. While they implied it was protestors causing disturbances and indulging in criminal behaviour, it was quite the opposite and the articles remained vague on WHO was to blame for this reason.

As I walk through the streets now, even with a remaining heavy force of officers, you can see a return of vagrants to the area. I feel bad for those that have to remain here and watch a return of what has become the Trudeau normal. I know this fight is not over though and I still hear reports that many from the convoy have stuck around and regrouped around the city with a plan to return. They are still calling on all Canadians to remain protesting every weekend, to take back this country peacefully.

There is much to say and reflect upon. There are many questions to be answered and I feel the coming months could prove difficult for most. I hope the people have not lost faith and have instead been emboldened by one another to push forward even harder.

Take care all, Nash