Nick1899;
Good morning to you sir, I hope that the day's looking decent in your part of the world.

We're fairly clear this morning here and just above freezing here.

One of the things many or maybe even most Canadians seem to have done is to ignore our history either in part or whole.

In a few phone conversations with 673, I've learned he's a keen student of history as am I, so please understand that's the viewpoint I perceive the world from.

Right from the get go truly, the NWMP made up the rules as they went along, whether it was Sam Benfield Steele heroically getting up from his sick bed to take up his issue 1876 .45-75 and beat a strike leader on a Canadian Pacific Railway work crew - the strike seemed legal there actually Nick - to the infamous acts they were involved in during the Winnipeg General Strike of 1919.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/winnipeg-general-strike

While we could go on, suffice to say that unfiltered history has many instances where our national police force acted on behalf of the folks paying them and not in the best interests of the citizenry.

This is not to suggest in any way that they - the RCMP Members - as individuals are all evil. Far from it as that's an unsupportable position on several levels.

What I do suggest is that as an organization they do not always reflect the virtuous image portrayed from Hollywood's Sgt. Preston, Due South, etc. & etc. and that they have often been used as a bludgeon against the Canadian people.

It's interesting to me that we're in a unique place in history with e-books, audio books and online information that if we chose to be educated, there's more than a history degree out there on pretty much any subject if we as individuals want to put in a modicum of effort, you know?

The goal then once again is to get our fellow citizens - of Canada and truly the world - switched on or engaged enough in life to just question a couple things and then do some research on their own.

Again that's just one old BC redneck's thoughts on the matter sir, not much more.

All the best to you this Family Day long weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"