Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by irfubar
Brother Dwayne.... Your post and sheep are the "good stuff" seriously!!!
I am somewhat familiar with your brand of sheep, the California Bighorn... as I was fortunate enough to draw a tag for the same subspecies.... now keep in mind I am a "wanna be" sheep hunter and am generally fascinated with wild sheep...
My bighorn was from the mountains of South central Oregon, of all places.
The unit I applied for had the best drawing odds but the worst trophy quality... I didn't care.
Much to my amazement, I drew a tag, I have very little luck in the tag lottery in general.
My financial situation at the time was well... meager... so I scouted , hunted and did everything on my own.
It was an amazing and incredibly difficult hunt... in 4 days of scouting and 6 days of hunting I saw one ram I would consider worthy.
In my unit there was one other hunter, we spent time together and he wasn't having much luck either. He was a gentleman my age and was hunting with his son.
His son was a hardcore sheep hunter with several rams under his belt!
We were all struggling, the temps were in the 90's.... the climb was 2000' each day.... but that is sheep hunting...
I did fill my tag on the 6th day of hunting...

And here he is....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's freaking awesome, seriously.

Yep, the Apex.

Thank you guys...

We would love to hear the story of the plan, the stalk, hunt, shot, rig you used and kill sometime.

At the time I lived a few hundred miles from the hunting unit.
So I made a scouting trip by myself, slept in my truck, extremely minimalist.
The mountain range was steep and approximately 25 miles long with a road at the base on both sides, range ran North to South.
On my scouting trip I climbed the mountain in several places and found only ewes and lambs.
I found a camp spot at the base of the mountain with a running creek, a real luxury!
On the hunt I would be accompanied by my brother and a buddy from Oregon.
My strategy was to divide the mountain into 3 mile increments, climb up, traverse the crest, looking down both sides. Drop off the mountain in the evening and be picked up at the bottom by my brother and friend.
I did this for 5 days and was running out of territory with no luck.
On the North end of the range was a dirt road that actually crested the range, it was much lower elevation on that end. So we drove to the top was dropped off. From there it was uphill as we worked the crest of the range heading South.
That's when I found my ram. I shot him below the crest on the backside of the mountain. I packed the head and front quarters up to the crest then down to the dirt road at the bottom of the mountain where my buddy was waiting with the truck.
The next day I climbed the mountain by myself , recovered the remaining meat and met my brother and pard at the base of the mountain....
Then we went into town , drank, celebrated and believe it or not did the laundry of my fellow sheep hunter while they drove 150 miles to Winnemucca to restock provision as their hunt was going much longer than expected.
A local guy had a walk in cooler and let me store my meat, when I say town it was a town of 32 people. I had hunted out of there years before for sage grouse and chukar and deer.
It was a once in a lifetime hunt... literally as once you draw a tag you can never draw another.
To return to an old stomping ground and kill a ram is more than I could have ever dreamed of.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.