Originally Posted by Cascade
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by Cascade
Another 65 mile bicycle ride yesterday. Not bad for a 62 year old with a 30 year old riding buddy. I'll take it. Been kinda remiss on getting to the gym lately though. Cycling somehow seems more important & more fun right now.

Keep on truckin' all! We're just competing against ourselves, until hunting season hits. Then it's The Ridge I'm working against.

Have to admit, I surely do feel good when I'm in decent condition.

Guy

65 miles is a respectable ride at any age! Any issues in your knees when you bag big miles? Any IT band issues towards the end of rides?

Knees are okay. Better 30 years ago, but okay. Dunno what an "IT band" is, so I guess it's okay too. smile

I stayed with flat pedals on my mountain bike, but ya, clips would help smooth out the climbing. I spin out too sometimes, climbing with the mountain bike. Haven't ridden it yet this year. Going out on the road bike in a couple of hours, but not 65 miles. Maybe 40 - 50 miles. Something like that, and fewer hills.

Guy

Yeah, I did not "need" to know about IT band stuff... haha... until I did. It's a band of hard tissue on the outside of the knee/quad, basically a spread-out tendon coming from the outer quad. If it goes out on ya during a ride it's excruciating to open and close the knee, regardless of whether you are putting power through or not. It's cured, pretty much, by aggressive rolling on a hard foam roller, which is also excruciating. If I feel it coming in on a ride, usually at 30+ miles, I can usually fix it with the heel of my hand and/or the top tube of the frame of my bike, just really grind it into that area. Until I figured it out I had several rides I had to finish basically on one leg. It just shuts down the affected leg.

Upper body is a bit stiff today too from the MTB ride... me likey! I noticed my arms were a bit trashed when I went out to the Cave last night to crack a beer and throw darts. Yep!

I hope you are using a seriously bright red flasher on the back of your road bike. Don't be like that zillionaire woman in California who's in an early grave for the want of a $50 flasher. I had to buy my cheapskate buddy one, he was trying to get by with a cheesy little blinker, but they are worth it, a literal lifesaver. Catch the attention of that dumbass texting as they come up behind you, etc. Maybe not an issue where you are, maybe you have bike lanes... I ride rural roads and I won't even go out without my flasher. I'm blanking on the brand of mine... Serfas Thunderbolt maybe? Something like that... but it's long and thin and bright as God. smile I also use a BRIGHT front light set to strobe in the daytime; that was begun after I was blazing a downhill at 35+ mph and a car almost pulled out of a driveway in front of me.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 04/10/19.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!