Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by wareagle700
Just wanted to give this a bump for those feeling confident in their gear.

wink

700, I vote to close the thread while I still have good standing in the rankings and my ego in tact. Thanks sir whistle

Seriously tho, and I'm not talking shiyut to anybody.... but it is interesting how often you hear about rifles that can do the proverbial 1" all day. But when a test like this comes along lots of shooters get quiet.
This is the first time I've done two tens to see what's what and its light years apart from hittin that .300 group from your best bolt gun and feeling smug about it.
My biggest question is I feel I'm doing a pretty good job as the shooter, but I don't think I possess the fine tuning skills to KNOW that I'm maximizing the potential of my rifle/ammo..

NO matter the position you are trying to improve, IMHO one of the best things you can do is dry fire a ton. Gets you used to the rifle. Makes you relax more or totally if thats possible on the gun. You and the gun become one. From years of competition, while I can tell you about when my gun is going to fire, I"ve never actually fired a gun in years.... it goes off when things are still right at some point, hopefully sooner rather than later, but again, IMHO, thats a sign that you are relaxed and doing things right.
To me the worst things we can do to make our guns not shoot up to their potential is what we do to them and thats most often muscling in one form or another, even if its only tight muscles and not even pushing on the gun.

See what the BR guys do... don't touch the gun basically... free recoil, only touch the trigger as much as you have to, to get it to go bang....

Which, funny as it may seem, is often why you can't get 10 shot groups to stay small... most often the driver wobbles....

Ice in the veins is a good corollary in many ways... seems stupid, but in reality calm and relaxed and things are much better.

The ways we learn this is by firing the guns a lot. And dry firing them a lot...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....