Got busy & loaded some ammo. Let's say we had a Daniel Defense versus Noveske day smirk

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shot the same load through both rifles, 77gr Berger OTM Tacticals over 24gr CFE223, in new Lapua brass. I have some of the ASC mags which allow longer OAL - in this case I loaded them to 2.298" OAL

The first rifle is a DD Mk12. It has a 18" CHF and nitrided barrel with rifle gas, in a SPR profile. It's been modified with triad flash suppressor, Magpul stock, and a Geissele DMR trigger. The groups shown are the best I've managed with the rifle.

The 2nd rifle is a Mutt made from CMMG upper & lower, with a Daniel chrome BCA. The trigger is stock, and is stiff and rough. The barrel is a Noveske 18" SPR mid-length gas. It has a Troy 13" Alpha rail, which nicely covers up all the scratches I put on the Noveske gas block blush

Despite the hamfisted assembly, rough trigger, and brand-new, no break in barrel, the Mutt slightly edged the DD. Prior to shooting, I thought about chamfering the muzzles, and found the Noveske barrel takes a pilot .001 smaller than the DD. It is also straight stainless, not nitrided. It is certainly worthy of a better trigger and some more load development.

The bad news concerned the mags, which tended to hang open and not feed the last round in the magazine. If anything they were a bit worse in the DD than the Mutt.

I shot the 20 rounds first with the DD, then moved its 3x9 VX-R scope over to the Mutt. After shooting both 20rd courses, I moved the scope again to the Colt 6920, and fired just a few rounds. It shows decent promise, for being just a light rifle - bone stock with a chrome lined barrel.

And then there was an original 180 Series Ruger Mini-14 from 1976, which I inherited from Dad. The 77 Bergers are of course too long for its 1 in 10" rifle, so I fooled around with some 55gr factory loads, and it did better than the one AK I have owned. So more development is indicated. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."