Originally Posted by IDMilton
Regarding the RRA Varmint, my uncle and a cousin both own them and theirs shoot great, too.

I also found this thread very interesting when I found it shortly after it started. I also found it VERY frustrating! I have a 16 inch lightweight Syrac upper that shoots 77 MK and 8208 well. I have shot many 5 shot groups in the .5s. So when the challenge started and I saw some of the targets, I thought I would do well in the rankings. By the time I was done, I felt humbled!

After seeing the thread I headed to the range and shot two 10 round groups. They both had nice clusters, but a "flier" or two opened them up to a little over an inch. I knuckled down and tried again with the same results. I "knew" I had a half inch set-up, so I thought it must have been the little breeze and gave up for the day. Latter, I tried again with the same results. So I got really anal with my loads. Neck-turned, weighed, uniformed, de-burred, bullets seated less than .001 run out, etc. Still no difference.

So I started load work up over. 50 and 60 Vmax, 50 Sierra, 69 MK, 75 Hornady BTSP and Amax and 73 ELD M and 77 CC.8208, tac, Varget, and H4895, CCI 400, 450, and my usual Rem 7.5. All sorts of seating depths and I did OCW and ladder testing. I was at the range shooting on a cement bench with wind flags out. Just to check the loads I shot over a heavy rest instead of my usual bipod. I tried pads under the bipod. I tried free recoil and different rear bags. I switched scopes. I finally thought it must be the light weight barrel. So I bought a new gun.

This one had 170 rounds on it when I got it and a Rock Creek 18 inch medium weight (SPR?) barrel on it. It had the SSA-E trigger. (First rifle had SSA). Both have the Wylde chamber. I spent A LOT of time at the range. It is a good thing the saying "die trying" isn't literal in this case. I can shoot my heavy Krieger barrelled 308 10 under an inch, so I thought if I just kept working at it, I'd find a load that would do it consistently in one of the ARs.

To summarize, I never did. I get CLOSE, but I can't do it "all day long". And I never got around to taking pictures and posting them because I was waiting for the two ten round groups under an inch. My guns shoot great clusters, but somewhere in there, I mess it up.! I stopped short of getting a heavy barrel. That way I don't need to lug it around for gophers, and I can still blame this on the guns!

Damn, sounds like it may be the rifle???

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA