Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by bruinruin
So do I, KP. My buddy gave me a thousand or so once fired federal cases about 15 years ago. I've reloaded the same couple hundred cases a number of times with no issues and good accuracy.

No dis, but I"ve seen folks happy wiht 80s at 2500 fps or less, and at those mild loads even FC brass would likely survive.
You won't win a match with those loads though.

I don't shoot service rifle but do compete in DMM using an AR15. I shoot 77gn bullets at 2566fps and am pretty competitive unless guys show up with fast 6mm or 6.5mm rifles (you know since every unit fields their designated marksman a 6/6.5mm GAP or JP) since there is not always a MIL division or Open division. I don't load anything to the gills anymore and I am quick to retire brass when problems present. I usually get 4-5 firings in .223 Wylde gas guns.

I load Federal in .30-30 Improved,.308 Win, and 7mm Rem Mag also; used to load it in .280 Improved too. I find it similar to Nosler brass that needs extra prep. I discard Federal and Nosler at 8-10 firings from bolt guns.

If I don't stress it, Federal brass serves me well; kinda like your heart lasts longer when it isn't run at high RPM from nicotine and energy drinks.