Originally Posted by Fubarski
Originally Posted by wareagle700
I think the AR itself, with a good barrel and ammo, is capable of great accuracy. I see no reason why one couldn't shoot .5 MOA if shooter error was eliminated. However, I think anything consistently under MOA is great from an AR given the fact that the AR is more difficult to shoot accurately than a bolt gun.

While accurate, your statement shoots your plan in the foot, IMO.

There's always some a-hole that picks at your good ideas, and in this case, that's me........and you.

By your statement, you agree with me that this test, while fun (and I'm gonna do it soon as I get my AR together), is only 1/3 about the rifle itself. The other third is optics, mostly including parallax issues, and the final third is the nut behind the trigger.

When I take your challenge, and I get to shot 7 or 8 (no matter how it's going), I *know* there's gonna be shooter error.

So what does this exercise tell us? Seems to me, and considering Blue's post, that pressure is the real test, rather than the weapon's inherent accuracy. To be able to make the shot when it counts, when the first 7 are tight, but you need 10.

While 10 is the number, each individual trigger pull is a test in itself.

You can and need to learn to disregard the tension that causes bad shots... I know.. I used to be able to shoot a 199 but dang it all pressure would screw me and at least one shot up.

Once I had a "coach" that was supposed to be all it, that was from the guard teams... and had retired. I had fired around 17 shots at 600, and had 15 X IIRC, and that might have been something close to a service rifle record at the time, IF I had shot a 200... and of course he says... literally, don't intercourse this up now, keep shooting Xs... well guess what... 199 and some Xs later, IIRC I had the x count beat but a 199 is worthless...

I finally got over that and shot 200s at the time fairly often.

In fact in a state match in TX many moons ago, where David Tubb was trying out his new 2000 in 6XC and I was trying out a brand new upper in 6.5 twist 223 with 90 jlks... I had a perfect string going at 600 when my scorekeeper, a real hot head azz, but great shot, his cell started ringing... I only had a few shots left and it was windy... I roll over and say, Steve I'll stop, you can catch that, he got all nervous, mumbling keep shooting you fool, nope I'm good, go ahead... so finally he answers, blabs I'll call you back, and hangs up.. mabye 90 seconds or so... and I settle back in and send the next X downrange, won that stage, Tubb had 197 as did a LaBerge. First ever 200 shot on that range that had been open a couple years or so. It was a state championship match on top of it. It was an open match, meaning I shot handicap with a service rifle against match rifles, IE bolt guns. And still won it.

Having won the 800 and 900 yard stages of a state palma the day before with the same gun, and loosing 1000 by a bit, ending up 3rd over all in the palma with a service rifle.

I say this not to brag at all, and sorry for the digression, as I don't think of myself as that good of a shot anyway, but simply if you are having issues shooting 10 or even 20 good shots, or even just 3-5, you just need to shoot and get over the anxiety part of it.

Lord knows if I could do that, then you or anyone else (except my SIL) can do it. Its mental. You can conquer that. Its your brain, control it!

Sorry for getting OT there...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....