Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by 79S

I use Varget now days.. I chit canned RL15 it was running slow. I use 24.5gr varget with 80.5gr Berger’s. I use varget with my TMK as well. Tomorrow I finally leave for home. So I will be able to see what I have for notes with TMK.

Varget is a great accuracy powder, one of the very best, but you can't get enough in the case to get much over 2600 FPS with 77's.

If that is enough for you, Varget is hard to beat; the only other issue with it is that it fairly large grained & doesn't flow through a powder measure nearly as well as several other comparable powders for high volume loading.

But f I was picking a pure accuracy load, especially for 100-300 yard work, at anything between 2500 & 2600 FPS with 77's, it would be hard not to go with Varget.

MM

I like the "high volume" reloading aspect. That's why I use the powder I use. It's accurate enough for me and I can load 3-400 rounds per hour with a single stage loader..If I had to trickle and weigh every charge in the tiny 223 case, I'd give it up... I feel the same way about my AR10 308 loads..

Even with Varget, in this day and time, comments for the short ranges we shoot, we should NEVER weigh and trickle. In fact there is still an argument that volume of charge is more important than actual weight RE BR shooters comments. I'm so anal it hurts to dump and run. BUT Iv'e won so much stuff with dumped charges or loads run on a Dillon even with Varget or RL15 I should know better. With that said, usually no one says that federal GMM ammo sucks. Or the top line Black Hills even their contracted to the military stuff. And you know how they load that stuff....
IF anal, then try TAC... fast enough to make most happy. Ball powder. Temp stable.
FWIW 77s are kind of anomaly. They are lighter than 80s ( all the old bullets I know nothing of the newest bullets) so we think they should go faster but due to bearing length and intrusion into case capacity vs mag length, they aggravate us on paper numbers...

I dump loads of Varget in my 308 ( I've switched to a bulk ball powder lately since I have enough of it around...) but dumped Varget was plenty good to 800 or so, which is far as I've ever shot the gun on paper. It was still just under MOA for a few shots here and there, not real testing but zero verification. Good enough for me plus it didn't have much vertical. Most was horizontal.. and probably combination of wind and mirage components( 2 totally separate things)

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....