Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by rost495
While I continue to say that 77s shoot very well, I also have found you have to find the right "node" for them in the gun. IE all factory 77s might not be so swift.

With faster twist guns, the gold standard to test factory is federal gold medal match 69s IMHO. The brass is throw away though... as is all 223 by FC(not LC)

OR used to alwyas be 25 of Varget CCI BR 4, LC case, 2.250 oal and 69 smks if reloading.

PS low rings can be a bit of a pain and you may be getting parallax, OTOH it tends to force a good stock weld, and thats a plus IMHO.

But thats just my thoughts and you know they are worth only what you pay ... LOL. Like I'd have a clue. LOL.

I've seen it mentioned time and again here that Federal 223 brass is junk, but I don't think I've ever read the reason behind that statement.

Federal .223 brass is very soft. So soft that when you try to trim it the case mouths will tear instead of cut.

This translates into very short primer pocket life. I got a case of once fired from a local LE agency and on the first loading the primer pockets were already loose. With a load a grain below max I had nothing but problems with plenty of primers to fish out of my lower receiver, lodged in the BCG, and trigger group.

I had the same results with brass from Federal American Eagle ammo.

After those experiences when Federal .223 brass hits the ground, that's where it stays.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell