Originally Posted by rost495

I need to finish Carolyns truck gun and load up at least 100 rounds before I leave back to Alaska again, and I'm still fairly convinced for general purpose use I'm going to run her with 55 or 62 barnes. Just rambling here...That should be a for sure all around bullet for use on anything. Anyone got a good load for 55 or 62 barnes in a 16 inch tube, 7 twist?

I shoot 62 TSX's with both AR-Comp & 8208, can't remember the loads & I'm not at home.............will check later. 62 TSX works very well for just about any purpose within it's BC range limits. Generally more than accurate enough for it's intended purposes.

Originally Posted by rost495

Powder measures. Don't use anything much fancy at times. Redding BR30 plenty good enough for target. Sometimes you have to get a type of rhythm to make any measure work with certain powders. You know, one tap up, one down. 2 up, one down, 2 both ways. Etc.. helps settle powder and RE cutting the pieces.

I use a Redding 3-BR..............with Varget I see about +/- .2 - .2.5 g variance but a lot of cutting/chopping of the kernels off & on so more of an inconvenience than with 8208, AR-Comp or VV-133 (which I also use for lighter bullets). With those powders, I see almost no variation in load weights.

Alliant 2000-MR is also very fine & works very well with heavy bullets................not much load data available, & you will almost surely be over anything published if you work up loads, but it works very well & is very consistent. I have not shot a lot of it, but what I have, I like.

I just have a lot of 8208 since I got a deal on a couple of 8 lb'ers & it works on everything across the board for bullet weights so it's my go-to powder right now.

MM