Exactly right on challenges. After 10 plus years of not shooting, I'm expecting I probalby will suck to an extent.

BUT the way we got better was not by shooting with the also rans, but with the best, and trying to get to their level and then beat em.

And in highpower, especially service rifle, if you beat the best there was, they were almost all happy to give you a pat/shake/hug and congratulate you.

You figure out how to make a 22 shot match, 22 mini matches if you will. But along the way you learn to shoot faster, cleaner, better, and it all comes with practice...

Once I learned i could shoot perfect scores at 600, my next goal was 1000, where it had never been done, and then finally done once with the loads and bullets I'd give to the AMU team. I don't know that I could ever do it now, but at the time I KNEW i could do it. IT may not have happened but knowing you could in your mind was a big thing.

I've always sucked at standing and my brain knows it. Wife and I both felt we were only a bit away from figuring standing out, mentally mostly, and being able to be at the very top of the game mostly with the top front runners and actually be contenders.

I loved so much to shoot. And simply don't find the time now, but as I noted, I managed to get a fence around the berm late Sunday night, and have mowed it once at 100 yards, and the way its raining, will have to shred again this weekend if not to muddy, which means just maybe I'll get to play.

Honestly I think Blue's idea though, has always been the best for testing your real ability, its how we did it with bows for years...

One shot, cold bore, once a day or even every other day or whatever until you have X shot on the same target. Or overlayed.

It tests the gun, the shooter, the load, and the weather issues.

I don't know much at all about scopes, but trust me there is a LOT that can affect iron sight shot location, but never touch group size. And vice versa.

For starters how many realize(with optics too) that the effect of mirage is seperate from the effect of wind? Most just think mirage tells you what the wind is doing. And it can do that, but there is more to the puzzle.

Night shooting with no wind and mirage tells a LOT. Shooting on a fairly cool day, thats partly cloudy and shooting in and out of mirage, can be an eye opener sometimes.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....