I have taught Hunter Education in Montana for over 20 years and do teach the principle of an unloaded chamber in rifles. There is a difference in the type of hunting done with a rifle vs. a shotgun.

The main difference is that in shotgun hunting, the quarry is flushed and the gun is then fired as quickly as possibe to get the bird within shotgun range. The typical carry in this situation is a two handed carry, which gives the hunter the best control of his gun.

Of course, as was stated in an earlier post, muzzle control is paramount as well. The hunter has the responsibility to maintain the SAFEST condition at all times, whether shotgun or rifle.

On the other hand, a rifle is made for precise shooting, which means making the shot as steady as possible and at much greater distances. Carrying a round in the chamber while hunting, without the knowledge of any game in the vacinity, isn't the SAFEST option and therefore the reason that it is best to have an empty chamber. One less opportunity for an accident.

I understand there are many out there who would argue this point, that doesn't matter, and certainly doesn't make it safe. After you have taught several thousand young students and seen the things they don't know as well as the parents that don't know safety either, you would agree that it is in the best interests of all who share this sport to practice the most safe method.

Last edited by shrapnel; 11/12/07.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]