I'm going to try this one more time... When I learned to hunt, the deer population was much lower than now. Sometimes the deer season was less than 1 week long in most counties west of the Blue Ridge. Anyway, we still hunted or drove deer (quietly) towards a line of shooters.
The key to all of this was moving quietly and slowly. I'm a big guy, but learned how to do this. If you are moving quietly, you don't fall down a lot. I also learned that mountain climbers may find game, but not whitetails. They aren't mountain climbers either.
I've been out west, but have not hunted there. I have gone hiking in the mountains...beautiful country. I haven't fallen a lot there either. Maybe the rengefinders, binoculars, weather station and all the other gear a lot of guys use gets in the way.
Whenever I'm on uneven ground, I'm extra careful, which includes making sure the rifle is safe.
I'm going to the range this week...and I will ask some of the guys about this thread. It's not something I've ever discussed before.
I've asked a couple of cold chamber guys about bird hunting and been told they don't hunt birds. Well you almost always hunt birds with other hunters and I can't see the difference as regards to gun handling. Are shotguns safer somehow, anyway, it's been illuminating. How the other 10% lives so to speak.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!