First of all to JeffO: Thanks for starting this thread 2 years ago, because the response from people that I know who have considerable experience have caused me to rethink how I go about this. For 51 years I carried with one in the chamber and thought that was the way it was done. The comments of some I have come to respect on the fire has changed the way I do things. Even when I carried hot, I hunted as safely as I could and often reminded myself an animal-big or little-is not worth the regret I would have if something went wrong.

A while back I related an incident I had crossing a stream that was no more than 2 feet wide. I made one jump and with hands wet from rain the shotgun slipped and hit the ground. I caught the barrels pointing at my chest. Said that was dumb and went on. In my mind I kept hearing this sound and the longer I went I knew it was the hammers falling. Opened the action and out ejected 2 shotgun shells. Bill Ruger saved my life with his hammer blocks on the Ruger O/U. Stupid on my part, but I've hunted with many safe hunters that would have taken that same two foot level leap without unloading.

I have taken many other falls with both shotgun and rifle. If you hunt you can guarantee it will happen sometime/somewhere, level ground or difficult, it's just a matter of time. Usually you will get away with it, but again it's just a matter of time until you don't.

Cold from now on with a rifle and action open with a shotgun. Admittedly shells in the chamber with action open in an 0/U or laying on the lifter if a pump. Safety on at all times.

Again thanks Jeff and thanks to those who explained why I should change.

laissez les bons temps rouler