Originally Posted by wildswalker

The only thing that makes sense is the hot hunter in thick cover is stomping that cover and taking jump shots......

Jump shooting animals was never my thang and I can't imagine anyone without time to chamber a round being able to accurately assess the backstop behind the animal before sending their shot. If it's THAT much of a surprise that you MUST have a round chambered then you stand a GOOD chance of missing, and you stand a GOOD chance of hitting something on the other side that you don't see, and don't want to hit. The logic there simply escapes me that on one hand a hot jump shooter insists he is practicing GREAT gun safety with his hot chamber but sooo willing to take a risky shot at a fleeing animal.

Very good piece of work that strikes home with me. I call that going tunnel vision and if truth be told it takes a cool hand to avoid it. The vast majority of us fail miserably.

On the one hand it's a requirement to shoot well and consistently place your shots to the best of you ability, while on the other that one minded concentrated focus, once you decide to shoot is filled with danger. I've told others that when the sights are going to the spot that is my world and all else ceases to exist.

I try to make my judgments before I get there, but when it's over I question just how well I did, and often I come up short. Yes maybe I looked, but couldn't see that guy behind the tree x number of yards away. Then as I make the mount with full concentration on the sights he steps out without me knowing. The more you shoot and hunt the easier it is to go tunnel, because things start running on autopilot.

There is much more going on here than just the question of hunting cold or hot.

As the athletic shoe says: Just do it. In this case that means do whatever it takes for us to be comfortable in knowing we are as safe as humanly possible.

laissez les bons temps rouler