Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Its personal attack whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.
Perhaps you're just a little insecure and thin-skinned, but I'm only posting my observations. Whether you acknowledge it or not.

You�re obviously in a state of denial, but that�s OK.

Can you or can't you just answer yes or no?

�Yes� and �No� are not always appropriate answers, as is the case here. Neither would be entirely correct as I hunt with my muzzle stuffers both capped and uncapped depending on circumstances. As I said before �You ask if I hunt with an uncapped muzzlestuffer and the answer is clearly provided in my post above as �frequently�. That would be a �Yes� in some circumstances and a �No� in others. � If you must try to simplify the answer to a single word, choose one. You will be partially correct either way.

Again, you're trying to stretch things here and justify your answer by making 2 + 2 = 5. You're trying to justify one firearm is safer than the other simply because it takes you longer to load it.

Please show me where I�ve stated anything of the kind. You can�t because I haven�t. Instead I�ve repeatedly stated that both are equally dangerous. Once again you�re making things up and attributing them incorrectly to me.

No, you've stated over and over that you believe it's dangerous to hunt with a round in the chamber of a cartridge firearm. Yet when the same circumstances are applied to a muzzleloader -- a "muzzlestuffer," in your parlance -- you state that you hunt more often with a capped, live muzzleloader becuase you're afraid you'll miss a shooting opportunity. That line of thinking by itself tells me you're either an over-confident firearms neophyte or simply a hypocrite about safety.

Since many people and animals have been shot with loaded firearms, accidently or intentionally, and none have ever been shot with an unloaded firearm, one might reasonably conclude loaded firearms are more dangerous.

The level of danger varies due to the circumstances extant. Sometimes the danger increases to a level I am unwilling to accept, in which case I modify my behavior. Even with my cartridge rifles there are times when I am willing to accept a higher level of danger than I am at other times. There is nothing hypocritical about that.

No, you've stated that you think it's more dangerous to hunt with a live round in the chamber of a cartridge firearm than a capped and loaded muzzleloader. That's your assertion, not mine.

Once again you�re making things up.

Please show me where I made such a statement and I�ll concede your point.

I've only had to quote your posts. I'm too tired and lazy to invent anything.

You have attributed a number of statements to me that I have never made. In such cases you have NOT quoted me because there is nothing to quote.

To summarize what I've gleaned from your posts:

You believe it's basically a dangerous condition to hunt with a live round in the chamber of a cartridge firearm, though you sometimes do as the circumstances dictate.

What I�ve contended is that it is more dangerous to hunt with a loaded firearm than an unloaded one, for the simple reason that no one and no animal has ever been shot with an unloaded firearm.

And yes, I hunt with both hot and cold weapons depending on circumstances at the time.

You believe it can be dangerous to hunt with a capped and loaded muzzleloader, though you tend to do more often than not because of the length of time it takes you to cap one.

Yes, a loaded muzzlestuffer is just as dangerous as a loaded cartridge rifle.

And yes, I often treat them differently. There have been many times when I have hunted with a loaded muzzlestuffer (capped with powder and ball in the barrel) in situations where I would have an empty chamber in my cartridge rifles. More frequently, however, in situations where I would empty the chamber of my cartridge rifles I will remove the cap from my muzzlestuffers.

You think the two types of firearms can't be compared even though they both launch projectiles that can be potentially hazardous to the recipient.

I said comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. Apples and oranges are easily compared and in fact, as you pointed out, have many similarities. They are equally dangerous when loaded but their mechanical differences are significant enough to warrant, in my case, handling them differently in the field.

You are unfamiliar with the adage "More people have been shot with 'unloaded' guns than with loaded guns." (Note the quotation marks.)

Actually I am quite familiar with it but disagree. Whether you define �unloaded� as �actually unloaded� or �loaded but mistakenly believed to be unloaded�, many millions more people have been shot with �loaded� firearms than �unloaded� firearms.

No one has ever been shot with an unloaded firearm. A mistaken belief that a firearm is unloaded does not make it so.

Those are your beliefs are they not? (Just answer yes or no.)

No � I take no credit for the things you made up and attributed to me.

My take is every gun should be treated as if it were loaded. Safety rules should be applied consistently to ALL firearms and under ALL circumstances. Anything less highlights your ignorance or hypocrisy.

My take is that loaded guns are always more dangerous than unloaded guns and that no amount of safe handling can make loaded guns as safe as unloaded guns.

I do agree, however, that good handling technique requires that guns be treated as if they are loaded. Better safe than mistaken and sorry.

[Edited to correct a spelling error ("forearms" instead of "firearms") and to add the missing word "be" in the second to last sentence.]

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 01/06/08.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.