I chamber a round but still need to cock the firing pin on my bolt actions.The millisecond it takes I can live with, shooting a hunting partner I cannot live with and no animal is worth my partners life. I will not rely on a safety to keep my gun from firing, they have been known to fail. Just about everyone knows or has been around a gun that has gone off when it is not suppose to. My last 2 hunting partners that I went for a walk with were my kids, round chambered but firing pin not cocked,see moose simply lift handle and put back down and your ready.
I really like my marlin as all I have to do is pull the hammer back and it has that 1/2 safety thing so it is a really safe one to walk with.
My ruger #1 and my model 88's do not do that,you would have to load and rely on the safety so I do not chamber rounds unless I am by myself walking. That is just the way I do it. If my partner wants to walk with a round in the chamber and rely on the safety he can walk by himself as it is me he is going to shoot.