And how some folks seem to have a corner on all the luck. Of course it isn't perceived as luck, it's "good technique." I guess if you've been out and about long enough and never had to stare at the cold black eye at the end of the barrel, and especially if you've never had a hot one pointed at you as it slid or fell, you've been lucky. I do not wish my epitaph to read, "He was lucky 'til he died." I've know too many folks who've had close calls with that kind of luck. I prefer my luck in the positive rather than the negative.

To equate the use of a hot chambered bolt gun used for hunting, with an often/usually uncocked handgun, often used for self defense is absurd. I simply don't have much faith in a hot chambered, cocked gun which relies on a mechanical safety, luck, and 100% human perfection in handling to not go off. I know this human and several others too well.

I grew up on exposed hammer rifles and shotguns. They were never carried cocked, that action happening only when the gun was to be fired. My choice to not carry a hot chambered bolt gun relies not on some insecurity or paranoia, but on what I know. Does that mean folks who do otherwise are simply ignorant?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.