Guess it depends on the animal and how many humans they've been around and how many hunting seasons they've lived thru. I've walked up to B&C caribou on the north slope that acted no different than walking up to a domestic cow in a field. Also saw an artic fox with a dog collar around its neck the same winter. I'm sure I could of drug a wheelbarrow load of rifles right up to either one of them, loaded them all, flipped off the safetys and flipped open the scope covers and they would of stood their stupidly looking at me waiting to be shot. Now try the same thing with a wolf who's had his ass burned by a rancher for trying to take down a cow and I'd venture to say he'll be hauling ass as soon as he hears the screen door open, much less stay around for a round to get chambered. So yeah, I'd say there's wolves and B&C bucks out there that have never seen or smelled a human much less been shot at before. And we all know the young of any wild critter out there is WAY less smart than the older ones who've been around for awhile, thus my comment regarding spikes.