Wow, quite a read on cold chamber vs. hot...again.

I skipped this thread at the time because I have read many like it in the past. Inquiring as to why SH had left the forum I was directed to this thread. I'm still not sure why he would leave the forum over this, being an old pro at the banter himself.

As far as the subject matter, I'm one of the few here that isn't even qualified to give an opinion, and one of the few to actually learn a little something from such threads. I have come away from threads such as these not with an absolute theory on the subject, but hunting method that incorporates many of the opinions here.

My 700 will hold four rounds, but I only load it with three because I find it makes it much easier to slide the bolt back and push the rounds down into the magazine when need be...besides, who deserves four shots at something? smile

There are situations where I feel my chances are high that I am about to jump a deer, I'll slide one in, safety on, thumb at the ready and take two steps and pause with the rifle at the ready. If I am out in the open or climbing, I slide the bolt back and push the rounds down. I have yet to lose track of whether or not I had one in or out.

I'll be the first to admit to not being a good hunter, either are the guys I hunt with, but I'll still go with them for they are good friends. The first time I hunted with one such friend, on two occasions his sling slipped off his shoulder and walking behind him I found myself with a birds eye view of his barrel, so I'm not gonna argue that accidents don't happen; especially with casual hunters who only hunt three or four times a year. On the other hand I'm not prepared to say I will never slip one in the chamber when the time feels right...it doesn't have to be either or.

Many speak about being good with the bolt at crunch time where I have become good at chambering a round and un-chambering a round when the situation calls, and good with keeping track the state of my rifle.

I think there are correct answers on both sides of the fence here and months ago decided to take advantage by using the best of both sides...so there! smile