Always have...always will.

My deer huntin' territory is thick, PNW forests which few states can match for thick cover. Still hunting or sittin' and waitin' are by far the most employed methods of huntin' blacktail and IMHE.......by far, the most productive. That said, most deer here (and in many other states) are killed no more than 70 yards away......some muuuuuch closer. So yeah, either the action or noise of chambering a round isn't a benefit given these huntin' parameters. Can one do it....sure, likely as often as not, but that's not the main reason I hunt "hot".

WA state has the second highest population of black bears behind only AK. I can expect to run into fresh bear sign each day when afield, if not the actual depositer of such sign. I have crossed paths with many bears, 3 in one day with my daughter while huntin' grouse. I do not intend to cross paths with any bear, with my daughter or alone, without the ability to immediately respond to an aggressive bear...or anything else showing aggression, for that matter, 2 or 4 legged. I don't believe that cougars are any less able to ruin one's day either......and we have a bunch of those as well.

When not huntin', I wear a sidearm when afield. It is always "hot". When I carry daily in either urban or rural areas, formal or informal settings, I carry "hot". Why would I not do so when huntin'?

I fully expect that many who are posting their thoughts on this specific thread either use cell phones or text while driving.......at the very least, exceed the speed limit on a regular basis......just guessin'. Heck, how many here drink and drive on a regular basis................? Are these actions not considered unsafe, both to oneself and to all others in our near vicinity? Any one of these unsafe driving conditions could potentially take out a whole bunch of people just due to anyone of these careless, but seemingly very accepted driving practices (sans somewhat the drinkin' and drivin' stuff). Obviously our driving practices, for many of us anyway, are actually quite dangerous. Probably more dangerous because we do it so often that we think we're real good at doing them!

Not so while huntin'......IMHO. If one hunts deer and elk with modern firearm in WA state, you'll get anywhere from 3-4 weeks total time afield, to hunt both......not alot of time. Whether we're very experienced hunters or inexperienced hunters, I'm thinkin' that we naturally would pay far more attention to safety concerns associated with our huntin' practices than we do our driving practices since we're such "experienced" drivers and therefore more "inherently" safe in that regard.

Whether right or wrong, real or imagined.....I know that I approach both activities in the aforementioned manner. Driving......somewhat nonchalant. Hunting/carrying.....acutely aware of safety concerns.

For all the reasons why I carry hot while visiting the theatre or grocery store, the same reasons apply to when I'm afield for any type of sport or recreational activities.........to be able to respond as quickly as necessary to put oneself and/or other's out of harm's way ASAP. If the expediance of huntin' hot also benefits me in the taking of a game animal.....an added bonus.

YMMV....which if fine and completely understandable. Just the way I approach this subject.

Good luck to all this season.

Last edited by magnumb; 10/11/09.