"I firmly believe that the carry cold camp have created a problem when none exist or at least that there is such a low acceptable risk that it doesn't matter. Ironic that it looks like all the cold carry camp are younger hunters. Don't know for sure, just from reading a lot of past post from others for a number of years." (I couldn't get the "quote" function to work, so I lifted this from saddlesore's post)

Speaking only for myself, I carried hot all the time, until I passed through my 40's. Then I got so used to carrying a cold chamber when hunting on horseback that I realized that I was giving up nothing tactically.

Now I carry cold all the time, unless I have my eyes on a specific animal I'm stalking, and conditions are otherwise acceptable to me to chamber a round.

Arguments about the military in war zones are stupid. Of course soldiers and marines carry hot -- people are trying to kill them. When I was stalking Cape buffalo in the Zambezi Delta I carried hot, and needed to. But deer and elk aren't trying to kill me, so instant response isn't more valuable than a .1 second later response.

If you're right about the "cold carry camp" being mostly younger hunters, then I'm glad to see that they've developed good sense sooner than I did. But I know quite a few of us will never be mistaken for Gen X'ers whistle.

After reading this thread, I'm dazzled that so many people are so offended that I've made a simple choice that enhances the safety of those around me and has yet to present any disadvantage to me in taking game. It sorta reminds me of the people who are offended by various rifle and ammunition companies coming out with offerings that don't suit their fancies.

Sort of smacks of self-absorbed self-aggrandizing self-righteousness.

(And for God's sake, don't any of you go misreading my handle and blaming My Other Brother Darrell for my maunderings...)

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."