Maybe this has been mentioned already, but I have always hunted HOT with the safety on. Some don't trust safeties. If the safety is untrust worthy or has been know to fail, that is an unsafe rifle and has no business in the field in the first place. There has been far to many instances hunting in the field that I had absolutely no time to chamber a round and if I had to, it would have been long gone anyway from the racket. Maybe the critters I hunt are more skittish, but there is no way they will stand there while I chamber a round with out bolting out of there like they were struck by lightning. For info, my father who taught me every thing about hunting in the field was a master gunsmith and owned a gunsmith shop in CO called Front Range Gunsmithing and attended the same school (CST) and had the same instructors as Darcy Echols (gun maker). If this was good enough for them, it was most certainly good enough for me.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87